Herefordshire Primary Schools Swimming Gala - 2018
The annual primary schools swimming gala will be hosted by the City of Hereford Swimming Club on Saturday 10th March at Hereford Leisure Pool.
The important dates to remember are:
- 9th February – Deadline for return of entries
- 20th February – Notification of unsold tickets
- 10th March at 14:00 – Primary Schools Swimming Gala
Entry forms and instructions are available:
It is important that you read the organiser’s conditions below:
- The event is based on ASA and FINA rules except children can start in the water if they want.
- Entries will only be accepted on the entry form provided accompanied by a cheque covering the full entry fee made out to “City of Hereford SC” and received on or before the 9th February 2018. Entries are to be sent to Alana Barry, 1 Orchard Avenue, Hereford, HR2 6SJ. Only one entry form is allowed per school. Only one swimmer’s name is allowed in each space on the entry form.
- Entry fees are 90p per individual event, 90p per open event, and £6 per relay team
- Places for entries will be issued on a first come – first served basis – the organisers can declare the gala full before the closing date for entries where unprecedented numbers of entries are received.
- Each school will be issued the requested amount of tickets (or an allocation below this where the gala is oversubscribed) following the closing date – an invoice will be raised which needs to be settled prior to the gala - a receipt will be provided. SCHOOLS WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO RETURN AND REQUEST REFUND IF UNSOLD TICKETS NUMBERS ARE RETURNED BY 20TH FEBRUARY. There will be NO ADMISSION without a ticket (the ticket price includes programme and raffle). Cancelled tickets cannot be presented at the door. Schools need to indicate how many tickets they require – there are additional instructions and information attached on the following sheet that you need to make parents and team manages aware of. PLEASE ALSO MAKE IT CLEAR TO PARENTS THAT TODDLERS AND BABIES CAN NOT BE ADMITTED WITHOUT THEIR OWN TICKET!!!
- All swimmers must be in the school year for the event in which they are entered. Open events are only open to those year groups specified on the entry form. A relay team can comprise pupils from any mixture of those year groups specified.
- Racing blocks will be available for dive starts. Swimmers may also dive from the poolside or start in the water. They must inform the referee if they are starting in the water. All swimmers must start in the water at the shallow end of the pool when swimming relays. Swimmers should have reached the necessary ASA standard for dive starts. It is the school’s responsibility to ensure that this is the case.
- The medley relay comprises one length each of Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly and Front crawl – in that order.
- Schools must provide at least one responsible adult to supervise their team. Up to two adults per team are allowed poolside. Two poolside passes will be issued to each school entering.
- There are no finals - the results of each event are determined on the basis of Heat Declared Winner. The fastest three swimmers out of all the heats for a given event will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze medals.
- There are 1st 2nd and 3rd place trophies for relays and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place primary school cup for the winners of a final relay that can be made up from any 6 swimmers from each of the top six schools at the end of the individual/open events based on points (6 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd, 3 for 4th, 2 for 5th and 1 for 6th). Qualifiers will be announced at the end of Session 2. There is also a trophy for the school with the most points scored during the gala.
Please also read some important notes about this years' gala:
The gala will be divided into three sections; this will be year 3 and 4 races, year 5 and 6 races, then relays and a final canon relay.
All children need to turn up at the beginning of the gala, some warm ups will take place later in the gala. In either case changes cannot be made once the gala is underway.
Presentations will be made during or at the end of each section – possibly during the later warm ups.
There will be two types of ticket allocated.
Each session ticket £3;
If the gala entry were to be identical to last year, then this method of allocation could result in a ticket per child, however, the entry may be larger!
The organisers will determine the ticket allocation on receipt of all entries and these will be divided equitably between schools based on the breakdown of each schools entry. Please could schools indicate their likely demand for tickets with their entry using the attached form – it is unlikely that we will match this demand exactly – but it will assist in reducing ticket reallocation.
As a result of the reorganised gala structure schools may need to have two assistant’s poolside. This is because at the change over one of the assistants may need to ensure that some children are reunited with their parents. Alternatively you may keep all children poolside with you and arrange for parents to collect them at the end of the gala.
A huge thank you to all of the schools and swimmers who took part in this years gala, it was another fantastic occasion. A huge thank you also to all those volunteers who help run the event, without whom we could not put on a competition of this nature.
The results of the event can be downloaded here.